Thursday, April 21, 2011

Discovery & More Symptoms: Late Fall/Winter 2009

Over the course of a few weeks in the Fall, I began experiencing at first a small, sharp pain in my tailbone when I sat down, which grew into an intensely sharp pain that was worsened by sitting on a hard surface for even a few minutes.  The pain would subside if I flexed to push my tailbone off the surface a bit or if I got up and walked around or layed down.  If I sat for too long the pain could get so intense as to shoot into my saddle area.  My physical therapist, directed me to see an orthopedic surgeon and get my back looked at, and start seeing another physical therapist who specialized with tailbone problems, who tried to multiple tailbone "resets" on me by pushing the tailbone from internally with no results.
These may not be from this specific MRI but here are some images of my back:




The new orthopedist immediately recognized a slight bulge in my L4/L5 as well as DDD in my L4/L5 and L5/S1.  It is also discovered that I have one extra vertabrae, like 5-10% of the population.  He prescribed more PT for the back then would consider oral steroids and injections in the future.  At this point my physical therapy focused on deep tissue massage, building more strength in my already strong back and core, and rebuilding what appeared to be some already atrophying muscle in the right calf and leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment